Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Recommendation: The Last Little Blue Envelope

THE LAST LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPE by Maureen Johnson


Summary: (from the publisher)

Ginny Blackstone thought that the biggest adventure of her life was behind her. She spent last summer traveling around Europe, following the tasks her aunt Peg laid out in a series of letters before she died. When someone stole Ginny's backpack—and the last little blue envelope inside—she resigned herself to never knowing how it was supposed to end.

Months later, a mysterious boy contacts Ginny from London, saying he's found her bag. Finally, Ginny can finish what she started. But instead of ending her journey, the last letter starts a new adventure—one filled with old friends, new loves, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Ginny finds she must hold on to her wits . . . and her heart. This time, there are no instructions.

Due out:  April 26, 2011  Click here to preorder from Barnes & Noble.

UPDATE:  Right now, you can preorder (in Kindle format) the first book  in Ginny's story, THIRTEEN LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES for FREE.  That's right--FREE.  Maureen Johnson is giving it away from April 12-26, 2011.  Other formats will be available starting the 12th of April.  Don't miss out--FREE BOOK, PEOPLE!!



My thoughts:
It was pure pleasure to go back to Ginny's world, and the ride was just as dizzying and wonderful this time. I really enjoyed the character development in Ginny. She greeted this journey with so much more confidence. She was really the kind of girl you wish you could be in high school. It was also interesting to the see the changes in Keith. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll leave it at this:  English boys are still sexy.

If anything, the descriptions were even better this time around. As rich as Ginny's experience was the first time she traveled through Europe, this one made me feel like I was really there with her. And I want to go to the Coo Coo Clock. Like now.

At the end of the book, all I wanted to do was be fifteen years younger, with a disposable income and a zany treasure hunt of my own. Definitely the kind of book that reminds me why I read and write YA. 

Recommended for:
Anyone who likes contemporary YA, but you absolutely must read the first book first. You'll want to know all of Ginny's story before you dive into this one, and the wait will be totally worth it.


If you haven't read any of Maureen Johnson's books, you're definitely missing out.  Don't let her girly covers deceive you.  She has all the depth and honesty you could want from a YA writer, and then for added lovability, she's the best Twitter personality I know.  Go follow her.  No, seriously.  Go.




So, how'd I do for my VERY FIRST BOOK REVIEW (on my blog)?


- Liz

2 comments:

Kristan said...

I've been wanting to read "MoJo" (as I have inexplicably dubbed her in my head) for a while. Maybe I'll start with this duo. It sounds so cute, and I love Europe!

Sophia said...

Thanks for the contemporary YA recommendations, I'll be adding the first book to my TBR list.
- Sophia.