Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Not-So-Secret Shame

Remember this?



Well, that's me watching the replay of the Glee finale last night.


But here's why it's so weird:  I'm not all that invested in the characters on the show.  Don't get me wrong--I enjoy the show.  The characters are not without their charm.  But the reason I watch it is for the singing.


I. Love. Choirs.


And they make me cry.  Almost without fail.


I used to be able to control it.  I used to be in a choir, for God's sake.  A Swing Choir.  Which is a lot like a Show Choir or a Glee Club.  At the time, I would have fought you to the death for saying it was the same.  We wore no sequins!  We sang jazz standards!  We were acapella or accompanied by only one piano!  Our choreography didn't suck!  But, really, it was Show Choir.  And I used to be able to sing all those songs without bawling.


As the years have passed, I have slowly become afflicted with a need to cry whenever I hear beautiful choral music.  In fact, I see my own Swing Choir about once a year at a Christmas performance, and I spend the whole time glassy-eyed and quivery-lipped.  It's pathetic.


I cry in the car all during the Christmas season.  I cry virtually every episode of Glee.  I cannot explain it.


But I do have greater sympathy for that pathetic little Sanjaya fan than I did at the time.


Does Glee make you cry?


- Liz

3 comments:

Kristan said...

Glee really only makes me cry when Burt Hummel (Kurt's dad) comes on screen and says something fatherly and loving. Otherwise, no, I'm kind of over it... Although, yes, the singing is AMAZING. I like some of their versions better than the originals, lol.

Eleven Eleven said...

I haven't touched that show, or the High School Musicals, for that matter. Maybe it's the burnt bridge I left behind with my own high school choir. I wonder if that's why I've been so flaky about church choir even though I love to sing...

Amanda said...

I cry at Glee a lot. And some of it is the choir aspect! Glad I'm not alone.