Thursday, April 12, 2012

J is for Just Do It

I know, the title is tres lame.  But Nike was onto something when they wrote that slogan.  It's about bravery, and commitment, and follow-through.

Want to be a writer?  Just do it.
Want to finish your first book?  Just do it.
Want someone's autograph?  Just go up to them and ask.

I was supposed to post my entry for J on Wednesday last week, but here's what happened:  I WENT TO MY FIRST RT CONVENTION!  It was in Chicago, it was exhausting, and it was awesome.  And there were a lot of opportunities to just do it.

The first was even going.  It meant meeting my crit partner (Hi, Jessie!) in person for the first time.  Not just that, but sharing a room with her for four nights.  I was nervous, I'm not going to lie, but I did it, and we got along great, and I already miss her! (Hi again, Jessie!)

The next was being bold and introducing myself to as many people as I could.  Some I knew from Twitter; some I only knew from the covers of books.  As a typical writer introvert, it's not the easiest thing for me meeting new people, but I did it.  Now I have new friends all over the country and a ton of great memories.

As tempting as it was to hang back when I was in the presence of some of my favorite authors--especially after I got laryngitis on the second day--I decided to go for it and introduce myself.  I may have fangirled all over a few of them (*cough, cough* Stephanie Perkins, Franny Billingsley, Veronica Roth, Francine Pascal *cough, cough*) but they were all super nice.  Writers are the best.

So whatever fears are holding you back aren't worth it.  Put your butt in the chair and write.  Don't be afraid to suck, just get through the first draft.  Go to a conference.  Go to a book signing.  Introduce yourself to people.  Be brave.  Commit.  Follow through.

Just do it.

1 comment:

Heather Whitley said...

My first convention took that same kind of bravery, but also gave me that same glorious payoff. Playing the extrovert is a challenge, but worth the price. I'm so glad you had a good time.