Five Reasons the End of the Olympics is Like Finishing a Novel
1. There were parts that make you proud, parts that made you glad to be alive, and parts that were so disappointing you wanted to throw things.
2. Whatever you were expecting when the whole thing started, you didn't get it--good or bad.
3. No matter how many great things happened, you can't help but focus on the near misses, and what you could have done differently.
4. The ending (in my genres anyway) tends to get a little schmaltzy.
5. When it's over, you're sad, but also relieved, and probably already thinking about next time.
* * *