Saturday, April 21, 2012

R is for Reading

I loved reading before I loved writing.  I still do.  As a kid, and even as an adult when I have to list my "interests" (Hello, Facebook, I'm talking to you), I always put reading and writing.  And for a long time, I didn't really feel like that was enough.  Like somehow, I would be more like a real girl if I also said I was into hang-gliding and scrapbooking.

But you know what?  It's a bunch of crap.  Reading is awesome.  Everyone should do more of it.

A couple years ago, I started keeping track of all the books I read every year, and two years ago, I added the books I read to my son at bedtime.  He's old enough now to read them himself, but he still prefers when I read to him.  Frankly, I'm glad, because I'm getting to read so many wonderful children's books.  Some old favorites, and some new.

I'm actually really excited to read even more of my old favorites with him as he gets older.  If you're looking for a great list of essentials to read with the kids in your life, may I humbly suggest the list compiled by the GeekDad community at Wired?  It's great stuff.

Read.  Read widely.  Read non-fiction, and fiction of all genres.  I can't recommend audiobooks highly enough.  I've written before about my love of Audible.com, if you're an audiobook person at all.  I find myself more willing to take on unusual books and non-fiction when it's being read to me.  And there are some readers who perform their books so brilliantly it's better than any voice I could create in my head.

If you would be a writer, you just have to read.  Imagine if a musician said "Oh, I don't really listen to other music, I just like to play my own."  I'm pretty sure their music wouldn't be that great, not to mention what an insufferable douche they'd be.

Besides, who wouldn't want to read?  I mean...BOOKS, am I right?  They even smell good.  They're so pretty, and they don't make any noise.  They're like the best pets EVER.  And you look so much classier with one in your purse than a chihuahua.  Let's make reading the newest fad.  Go get a book and we'll all go hang out somewhere chic and read.  It'll be great.

Who's with me?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please accept our thanks and congratulations on the success of your recent series on young scholars in our community. We see so much of the negative side of life in the media that it is refreshing to have a positive, upbeat report on the good things that are happening. I think the report was a great motivator for many students who need a little extra push. Our schools are doing a good job with limited resources, and they appreciate all the help we can give them. Thanks again for such uplifting coverage. ganga music

Rahul Tyagi said...

Go to a lot of job fairs when you're looking for work. They provide a great amount of position that you're looking for.
play bazaar You can also meet people here that can be very helpful to you.
satta king